Some of the sports stories covered by The Associated Press on Wednesday. A full Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST:
PITTSBURGH - The Steelers will be playing for first place in the AFC North without injured quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The team announced that backup Byron Leftwich will start against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.
NEW YORK - David Price and 2011 winner Justin Verlander are among the finalists for this year's AL Cy Young Award. Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey is a favorite to take home the NL pitching prize. AL winner at 6:17 p.m.; NL winner at 6:47 p.m.
- BUFFALO, N.Y. - So much for preseason projections. Rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill has the Miami Dolphins (4-5) playing above expectations. In Buffalo, high-priced defensive end Mario Williams has barely made a dent for the Bills (3-6), who find themselves in a familiar position trailing the pack. The AFC East teams meet on Thursday night.
- FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. - Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith talks about it all the time: No matter how many games the team wins, you're playing for your job each week. That was made abundantly clear when the Falcons, who are tied for the best record in the NFL, dumped defensive end Ray Edwards.
- AP Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner picks the pros for games of Week 11.
- AP College Football Writer Ralph Russo makes his picks for this weekend's Top 25 college football games.
- PHILADELPHIA - The Detroit Pistons try again for their first win of the season when they play the Philadelphia 76ers. Starts 7 p.m.
- DALLAS - The Dallas Mavericks look to snap a three-game losing streak when they play the winless Washington Wizards. Starts 8:30 p.m.