Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Baseball's winter meetings carry on, with Josh Hamilton still the top free agent amid speculation he will re-sign with Texas. Also available is pitcher Zack Greinke, with Texas and Los Angeles very interested. On the trade front, Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey of the New York Mets is still a prime target.
- NEW YORK - NHL owners and players were back in contact with each other, but didn't hold a bargaining session because they didn't want to rush through a meeting before the league's board of governors got together.
- FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Rex Ryan is sticking with Mark Sanchez as the New York Jets' starting quarterback. The team said that Sanchez, benched last Sunday against Arizona, will get the start this week over Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow.
- COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel could become the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy when the award is presented Saturday night. He certainly has the statistics, plays in a tough enough conference and has a signature win - all things Heisman voters typically look for when picking a winner.
- FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Bret Bielema is leaving Wisconsin after seven seasons to take over an Arkansas program reeling following April's firing of Bobby Petrino. News conference 5 p.m. By Kurt Voigt.
- SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Skylar Diggins and No. 5 Notre Dame take on Brittney Griner and No. 3 Baylor in a rematch of last season's national championship game won by the Bears. Starts 7 p.m.
- Pick the Pros: Leave it to the Oakland Raiders to ruin one of the NFL's most intense rivalries. Denver, which has clinched the AFC West, will enjoy romping on Thursday night against arguably the league's worst team.