Some of the stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
- AUSTIN, Texas - Lance Armstrong stepped down as chairman of his Livestrong cancer-fighting charity and Nike severed ties with him as fallout from the doping scandal swirling around the famed cyclist escalated Wednesday.
- DETROIT - The New York Yankees try to avoid being swept out of the playoffs when they play the Detroit Tigers in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. The punchless Yankees haven't been swept in a seven-game playoff series since 1976. Starts 8:07 p.m.
- ST. LOUIS - The San Francisco Giants send out Matt Cain against the St. Louis Cardinals' Kyle Lohse in Game 3 of the National League Championship Series that is tied at one game each. Starts 4:07 p.m.
- BEREA, Ohio - Joe Banner has been introduced as CEO of the Cleveland Browns, joining new owner Jimmy Haslam III in trying to turn around an NFL franchise stuck in an almost continuous cycle of losing. Banner spent 19 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles.
- SAN FRANCISCO - A preview of Thursday night's NFL game between the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers, with both teams tied with Arizona for first place in the NFC West with 4-2 records.
- AP Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner picks the pros for games in Week 7, starting with Thursday's game between Seattle and San Francisco.
- METAIRIE, La. - Jonathan Vilma is expected to return to practice, giving the New Orleans Saints their first real chance to see how close the linebacker is to being ready to play Sunday against Tampa Bay.
- AP College Football Writer Ralph Russo makes his picks for this weekend's games involving Top 25 teams.
- MINNEAPOLIS - The defending champion Minnesota Lynx play the Indiana Fever in Game 2 of the WNBA finals, looking to even the best-of-five series at one game each. Starts 8 p.m.