Randy Wittman wants his players to rest and get back to optimum health, but he’s cautious about them relaxing too much.
Preparing for the 2013-14 season starts long before training camp in October.
Nene (foot/knee), Martell Webster (abdominals), Trevor Ariza (knee), Bradley Beal (leg/ankle) and Emeka Okafor (ankle) ended their seasons on the bench with injuries.
“This game (has) changed since I played. The athlete is so much bigger, stronger, quicker, faster. … If you're a player that takes the off-season off and says, 'Well, I'll see you in September’ and get in shape two weeks before training camp, you're going to get passed by,” Wittman said. “That's the way it is. The great ones, LeBron (James) and these guys, don't take time off. It's going to be important for our guys to follow suit."
The playoffs begin this weekend, but keep these dates in mind:
- April 28: Early-entry eligibility deadline ends at 11:59 p.m. ET
- May 15-19: Draft combine in Chicago
- May 21: Draft lottery. Wizards will find out where they'll pick in the first round
- June 20: Last possible date for NBA Finals game
- June 27: NBA draft
- July 13-22 (last year): Las Vegas Summer League. The actual dates will be determined in a few weeks, a league official told CSN Washington on Thursday. The Wizards will decided which players it'll send after the draft.