McGee stuffed out of NBA dunk contest

McGee stuffed out of NBA dunk contest
February 16, 2012, 4:01 pm
Share This Post

The one time we want JaVale McGee throwing a basketball - if not two - off the backboard before a dunk, it's not happening.The NBA has announced theparticipants for the 2012 NBA All-Star weekend dunk contest, and the Wizards' agile 7-foot center and runner-up in last year's jam sessionto winner Blake Griffin (fixed!) is not in the mix.Lame. So is the actual list of would-be jammers: Chase Budinger (Rockets), Paul George (Pacers), Iman Shumpert (Knicks) and Derrick Williams (Timberwolves). From a Q-rating standpoint, that is one blah quartet.McGee said he would have participated if asked, but the league didn't contact him, the Wizards said.
The NBA also announced it is doing away with a panel of judges, who voted in the first round before fans voted on the winner in the second round. This year, there will be one round with three dunks each, and fans will crown the champ via online voting or texting. One way the NBA is apparently trying to help generate buzz for the non-star-studded field is by reportedly having Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin serve in the role as passer for teammate Shmupert. So, there's that.