Seven months after suffering one of the worst knee injuries a football player can sustain, Redskins safety Jordan Bernstine is working his back to full health.
Bernstine tore the ACL, MCL and PCL in the fourth quarter of last season’s opener in New Orleans while covering a kickoff. A few days later, the 2012 seventh round draft pick out of Iowa had the ligaments repaired by Dr. Chris Annunziata and was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.
Bernstine confirmed that he will not participate in drills when OTAs begin on May 20. But if his recovery continues to go well, his goal is to be on the field when training camp opens in late July.
“My goal is to be prepared for camp and be ready to go then,” Bernstine said last week while participating in an NFL Play 60 in Ashburn.
Bernstine earned a spot on the Redskins’ 53-man roster after a strong training camp and preseason, in which he recorded 11 tackles and an interception. He was also chosen for his tenacity on special teams.
Bernstine is one of six safeties on the current roster along with Brandon Meriweather, who is also recovering from knee surgery, Reed Doughty, DeJon Gomes, Jordan Pugh and Devin Holland.
That group could get even more crowded later this week if the Redskins address the position in the draft, as expected.
Last season, the Redskins opened the season with five safeties. Being in that group again, Bernstine said, is his primary focus.
“I just want to go out and help the secondary as much as possible, especially because I couldn’t contribute last year,” he said. “I’ve been injured before. It’s just something you have to be able to overcome.”
He added: “I have a pretty positive mindset. I just believe everything will be okay. It’s healing well and I have a great training staff helping me out …I’ll get to where I need to be.”
In other news another injured player you may have missed over the weekend, fullback Dorson Boyce (shoulder surgery) says he's hopeful of receiving medical clearance on Tuesday.