FB Dorson Boyce hoping for another shot

FB Dorson Boyce hoping for another shot
April 20, 2013, 6:15 am
Share This Post

Dorson Boyce’s first attempt to make the Redskins’ roster came to a painful end in the preseason finale against the Buccaneers last August. 

Boyce suffered a torn labrum in his shoulder while making a block and, after clearing waivers, the 24-year-old fullback was placed team’s injured reserve list.

Now, the process of attempting to earn an NFL job begins anew for Boyce, who said he could be cleared for contact on Tuesday.

“I’ve been here [at Redskins Park] training hard, trying to get this right because a labrum tear can be a tricky deal,” Boyce said Friday in Ashburn. “I’ve just been grinding, trying to stay on the right track so I can be ready for Phase 2.”

If Boyce (6-2, 249 pounds) receives medical clearance, the former Washington Husky expects to fully participate when OTAs begin May 20.

It’s unclear how Boyce fits into the Redskins’ plans, but it’s possible he’ll have the opportunity to earn a spot as Darrel Young’s backup or, more likely, compete for a spot on the practice squad. Former Navy fullback Eric Kettani spent last season on the practice squad.

Last month, Young signed a three-year extension that could be worth as much as $6.2 million. Young was the only fullback on the active roster in 2012; had he been injured in a game, the plan was to temporarily use a tight end.  

As for Boyce, just getting another shot is enough to fuel him this offseason. In his only action of the preseason a year ago, he rushed for 44 yards on 10 attempts against the Bucs before getting hurt.

“It’s a blessing,” he said. “I feel like as a professional, you have to be ready because you never know when your number is going to be called.”