NFL interviewed players about Hall incident

NFL interviewed players about Hall incident
November 15, 2012, 5:30 pm
Share This Post

'Skins trying to turn things around on D

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (88) runs after a pass reception past Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall (23) during the second quarter at Heinz Field.

(Charles LeClaire-US PRESSWIRE)

The NFL recently sent officials to interview players at Redskins Park in connection to DeAngelo Hall’s verbal run-in with an official at Heinz Field last month, according to Coach Mike Shanahan. 

“The NFL came in here and talked to a number of players,” Shanahan said Thursday. “They got their opinions on what happened on the field. I talked to a couple of them on my interpretation, but it wasn’t official.”

Hall was fined $30,000 for removing his helmet and unleashing a profanity-laced tirade at head linesman Dana McKenzie in the final minutes of the Redskins’ 27-12 loss in Pittsburgh on Oct. 28. Hall was upset because a penalty was not called on Steelers’ receiver Emmanuel Sanders for throwing him to the turf while making a block.

Afterward, Hall accused McKenzie of being “equally at fault” and “dishing it out” just as much as him.

“I thought there could have been a number of fines that occurred from the receiver,” Shanahan said, referring to Sanders’ block. “Obviously, [Sanders] was not penalized, but when [Hall] did take his helmet off, that’s what he was fined for.”

Typically, the NFL announces fines the Friday following the game. But the league delayed the announcement of Hall’s fine so it could investigate the veteran cornerback’s claims. No penalty was announced for McKenzie.

“He hasn’t had a lot of situations like that,” Shanahan said of Hall. “That’s one he’ll learn from. Hopefully, he can go on and won’t make any [more] mistakes.”

Hall declined to comment when approached by reporters.