Your Wednesday morning open thread:
When training camp opens 24 hours from now, there will be 90 players aiming to earn 53 roster spots. Among them will be a group of undrafted free agents the Redskins signed in May.
They’ll be afterthoughts in the minds of many. But, as Coach Mike Shanahan is fond of saying, if you’re on the training camp roster, you’ve got a chance.
In fact, according to ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio, 37-percent of the 622 undrafted rookies in 2012 earned a job, either on the 53-man roster or the practice squad.
Here is this year’s group:
- OL Jacolby Ashworth (Houston)
- LB Marvin Burdette (Alabama Birmingham)
- LB William Compton (Nebraska)
- WR Skye Dawson (Texas Christian)
- LB Jeremy Kimbrough (Appalachian State)
- OL Xavier Nixon (Florida)
- TE Emmanuel Ogbuehi (Georgia State)
- WR Chip Reeves (Troy)
- OL Tevita Stevens (Utah)
- WR Nick Williams (UConn)
The team’s short-term question marks are offensive line depth and returner, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on Ashworth, Nixon and Stevens as well as Dawson, Reeves and Williams.
Who do you like?