One of the first players released by the Redskins on Saturday was Tony Pashos. The 33-year-old veteran missed the 2011 season with a foot injury and had been vying for a backup job behind incumbent right tackle Tyler Polumbus.
Teams have until 6 p.m. to cut down to 53 players.
“I don’t think anyone in the NFL is ever really surprised,” Pashos said. “It’s the nature of the business. I was happy with the opportunity. I don’t have any animosity or regrets or anything like that. No coulda, woulda, shoulda. I gave it my best shot.”
Pashos’ departure leaves the Redskins with three tackles on the roster – Trent Williams, Polumbus and second-year player Tom Compton. (Undrafted free agent Xavier Nixon was reportedly released Saturday, as well.)
Pashos said the Redskins’ overall depth made it difficult to catch on.
“It’s tough,” he said. “There’s talent everywhere on the club, too. It’s a winning team and it’s tough to crack a winning club.”
Pashos said his surgically repaired foot was not a problem. He also added that it’s too soon to speculate on his next move.
“I felt great,” he said. “I had some productive preseason games. I’m not ready to speculate on my future right now. With the future, you just never know.”