Pat White makes 53-man roster
There are surprises every cutdown day at Redskins Park, and Saturday was no exception.
The biggest surprise, of course, was the team's decision to keep four quarterbacks.
Pat White had been considered a long shot to make the cut after three years out of the game, but the 27-year-old will begin the season on the 53-man roster, which was due at 6 p.m. Although the decision likely will be a controversial one, it makes sense for a number of reasons.
Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins are both coming off injury, and White provides insurance just in case one, or both, suffers a setback prior to the opener. White could also serve as a scout team quarterback to help prep the Redskins’ defense for Michael Vick, who will be the Eagles’ signal caller Week 1. It’s unlikely the Redskins will keep four quarterbacks for long, so it’s also possible White’s spot is a temporary one.
Among the other notable developments:
- Veteran offensive tackle Tony Pashos was cut, leaving Trent Williams, Tyler Polumbus and Tom Compton as the only tackles. In all, the Redskins kept eight offensive linemen, one fewer than last season.
- Rookie running back Chris Thompson fumbled twice in the preseason, but his 69-yard punt return for a touchdown against the Buccaneers likely punched his ticket. Fellow rookie Jawan Jamison was waived but said via twitter that he’s destined for the practice squad.
- In the secondary, safety Jose Gumbs displaced DeJon Gomes, who was released, while Jerome Murphy edged Chase Minnifield. Minnifield is also a practice squad candidate.
- The team also moved offensive lineman Maurice Hurt from active/PUP to reserve/PUP.
- Wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe was among the final decisions for the second straight year. This time, though, he was waived with an injured designation. He suffered a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder in Tampa.
Here’s the complete roster:
Quarterbacks (4): Griffin, Cousins, Grossman, White
Tailbacks (4): Alfred Morris, Roy Helu Jr., Evan Royster, Thompson
Fullbacks (1): Darrel Young
Wide receivers (5): Pierre Garçon, Joshua Morgan, Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Alrick Robinson
Tight ends (4): Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Jordan Reed, Niles Paul
Linemen (8): Williams, Polumbus, Compton, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, Kory Lichtensteiger, Adam Gettis, Josh LeRibeus
Linemen (6): Stephen Bowen, Kedric Golston, Barry Cofield, Chris Baker, Chris Neild, Phillip Merling
Linebackers (8): London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Darryl Tapp, Brandon Jenkins, Bryan Kehl, Nick Barnett
Safeties (5): Brandon Meriweather, Bacarri Rambo, Reed Doughty, Jordan Pugh, Jose Gumbs
Cornerbacks (5): DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, E.J. Biggers, David Amerson, Jerome Murphy
K Kai Forbath, P Sav Rocca, LS Nick Sundberg
For the list of players who were cut, please click here.