Redskins running back Roy Helu Jr. has returned to the practice field after missing all but three games last season with a toe injury.
Helu, who had surgery to correct the problem in February, received medical clearance earlier this week and participated fully in the team’s OTA sessions on Wednesday and Thursday.
“I’m glad he’s feeling good,” Coach Mike Shanahan said. “He’s practiced the last couple of days. He’s looked good.”
Shanahan provided updates on some other recovering/injured players, as well. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Fred Davis (achilles) won’t participate in team drills until training camp. Shanahan said he just wants to play it safe with his No. 1 tight end. “He might be able to go next week, but I’m going to keep him away even if he wants to go,” Shanahan said, referring to next week’s mandatory minicamp. “I like what I see on a day-to-day basis. You can see the explosion. I just don’t want him to push against anyone right now. I just don’t want to take the chance when he has an extra month recovery time."
- Shanahan said he likes what he’s seen from wide receiver Josh Morgan, who is nearly five months removed from surgery to remove seven screws from his previously repaired right ankle. “Josh the last two days has had great practices,” Shanahan said. “I see him getting better every day. …Anytime you have screws in your ankle, and it’s bothering you out of cuts, it’s going to bother you running with the ball in your hands. He’s over that right now and hopefully he doesn’t have any setbacks like he did last year.”
- Cornerback Chase Minnifield (knee surgery) returned to the field Wednesday, Shanahan said. But the team is not allowing him to practice on back-to-back days just yet. “We kept him out today,” Shanahan said. “He didn’t ask to be out. Anytime a guy comes off a knee injury …we don’t want to overdo it.”
- Safety Jordan Pugh was absent from practice again because of an ear infection. “They won’t let him travel, that’s why he’s not here,” Shanahan said.
- Tight end Deangelo Peterson suffered a broken right foot in practice this week. There is no timetable on his return.
- Here are some other key players who did not participate in team drills: WR Pierre Garçon (shoulder surgery/foot), TE Jordan Reed (knee/quad), LB Keenan Robinson (pectoral surgery), RB Chris Thompson (knee surgery), S Brandon Meriweather (knee surgery), OL Josh LeRibeus (hamstring), S Jordan Bernstine (knee).