Here are some notes on Sunday’s rookie minicamp practice held under partly cloudy skies and in unseasonably cool temperatures. There was no tweeting allowed so I’ll present the notes in Twitter-sized bites.
—Third-round draft pick Jordan Reed did not have a helmet and he was participating only in stretching. He was not wearing a knee brace or wrap. (Note: After practice we learned he had a minor knee injury)
—We knew that fifth-round pick Chris Thompson would not be participating, as he is six months removed from ACL surgery. No brace or wrap on his knee either.
—UDFA wide receiver Jason Thompson is tall (6 foot-3) and quite slender (190 lb.). He looks athletic moving around out there and made some decent cuts on simple pass patterns. Thompson dropped an easy one or two against no defenders but had good form in pulling the ball in.
—Out of all of the wide receivers out there, the one who looked most like an NFL receiver was tryout player Lance Lewis. The East Carolina product was in camp with the Redskins last year but he got hurt fairly early on and never got a chance to show what he could do. He looked smooth and confident, ran sharp patterns, and caught the ball without fighting it.
—Skye Dawson, an UDFA out of TCU, hauled in a couple of long passes. He’s short, speedy and wears No. 16. But that’s as far as the Brandon Banks comparison goes, Dawson is bigger and seems to be a more natural receiver.
—There were three cameras shooting film from up high. Every dropped pass, every false start, every blown coverage, every improperly run pass pattern, is caught by the eye in the sky.
—Bacarri Rambo and Phillip Thomas, of course, were the safety tandem with the “first team” defense. They alternated between playing free and strong.
—Thomas showed good instincts against the running game, aggressively rushing up to the line. And when a run got through the line, there was Rambo playing the last line of defense.
—Rambo got an interception, coming down with a contested intermediate pass. Thomas also picked off a deflected pass.
—Not much of a chance to look at the linebackers but it seemed like UDFA Marvin Burdette had fairly good ball instincts.
—Teams usually take 4 QB's to camp and the Redskins have four now. However, with RG3 sidelined they might want to sign another one. If they choose from the three QB's there to try out, it looks like Matt McGloin, formerly of Penn State, should be the guy. His short passes had more zip and his long passes had better touch than those of Ryan Radcliff of Central Michigan and Ryan Aplin of Arkansas State.
—What was supposed to be a two-hour session was cut short after a little over an hour so those are all of the observations for now.
The following players were in the rookie camp as tryout players:
- Dylan Breeding, P, Arkansas
- Ryan Radcliff, QB, Central Michigan
- Matt McGloin, QB, Penn State
- Jackson Rice, P, Oregon
- Christopher Devonte, WR, Utah
- Antavian Edison, WR, Purdue
- Ryan Aplin, QB Arkansas State
- Alex Gillett, WR, Eastern Michigan
- Josh Jarboe, WR, Arkansas State
- Luke Anderson, FS, Wyoming
- Akeem Auguste, CB, South Carolina
- TJ Bryant, FS, Troy
- Avis Commack, CB, Akron
- Durrell Givens, SS, Iowa State
- Seth Thomas, CB, McNeese State
- Jammaal White, FS, Northwestern State
- Ashante Williams, FS, Illinois
- Rod Chisolm, RB, Appalachian State
- Rodney Barnes, SS, Richmond
- Washaun Ealey, RB, Jacksonville State
- Darryl Hamilton, CB, Richmond
- Kenny Miles, RB, South Carolina
- Jarred, Salubi, RB, Baylor
- Issac Williams, RB, Baylor
- Shawn Morris, RB, Birmingham Southern
- Kelly Johnson, FB, Alabama
- Colby Walden, CB, Jacksonville
- Mike Mayhew, RB, North Carolina A&T
- Jordan Cowart, LS, Notre Dae
- Chris Clady, OLB, Central State
- Steve Greer, ILB, Virginia
- Brandon Sharpe, OLB, Syracuse
- Toshmon Stevens, OLB, Florida State
- Tanyl Lanston, OLB, Colorado State
- Kevin Matthews, OL, Texas A&M
- RJ Mattes, G, NC State
- Korey Neal, G, Eastern Michigan
- Michael Repovz, OT, Central Michigan
- Andrew Robiskie, G, Western Illinois
- Wade Jacobson, OT, Washington State
- Rcky Barnum, G, Michigan
- Gregory Hardy, TE, Montana
- Devin Stark, WR, Austin Peay
- Lance Lewis, WR, East Carolina
- Xavier Boatwright, NT, Presbyterian
- Aaron Davis, DE, SMU
- Castro Masaniai, DE, Oregon State
- Andrew Semualo, DE, Oregon State