Shanahan updates on Henderson and Barnett

Shanahan updates on Henderson and Barnett
August 14, 2013, 5:45 pm
Share This Post

RICHMOND – The Redskins terminated the contract of Devery Henderson on Wednesday because he 31-year-old wide receiver was going to have a tough time making the roster, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

Henderson had been away from the team for more than a week following the death of a family member. Shanahan also said that Henderson did not report to the team in top condition.

“We made a decision to go in a different direction,” Shanahan said following practice. “Usually when I deal with veterans and they really don’t have an opportunity to make our football team, I let them know a little bit earlier than I would a normal person. With the time that he missed and coming into camp probably not ready to go, I let him know that we were going to go in a different direction.”

Henderson, who spent the previous eight seasons with the Saints, was signed in June to add depth to the training camp roster and perhaps compete for a job. 

Shanahan also laid out the plan for veteran linebacker Nick Barnett, who signed on July 31 but is still working his back from offseason knee surgery. Barnett did not practice on Wednesday.

“He will not play” against the Steelers on Monday night, Shanahan said. “Hopefully there is an outside chance that he might take a few reps against Buffalo” on Aug. 24.