By Gary Williams
Here are Gary Williams' top five teams in the Washington, D.C. area:
1. Georgetown (4-1) - They have the best defense in the area and just pocketed a big win against #11 UCLA. Taking #1 Indiana to overtime was also huge, shows they are legitimate.
2. Maryland (5-1) - The Terps play at Northwestern on Tuesday, their toughest game since Kentucky. They're still coming together as a team, but are super talented and have four straight home victories.
3. Virginia Tech (5-0) - The combination of Erick Green and Jarell Eddie have the Hokies offense clicking, leading Virginia Tech to their first 5-0 start since the 1984-85 season. We'll see what they're made of with Iowa, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia coming up this week.
4. VCU (3-3)- The Rams have endured some hard fought losses early in the season to some very good opponents. VCU began the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament with a victory over Memphis on Thursday, but then fell to #5 Duke and #13 Missouri. This was the first time in school history that VCU played three top-20 teams in consecutive games. They are once again a good team and will probably be even better come March.
5. Loyola (5-1) - The Greyhounds earned a good road win at Rhode Island on Friday and as a result a spot on this list. Looking forward to their battle with fellow in-state program Towson on Monday.