We’ve been trying to analyze the Redskins’ 2014 schedule but we don’t have the complete picture yet. We don’t know who the teams they are playing are going to draft. Let’s take a quick look at some of the more high-impact players who our own Ben Standig has going to the teams in the Redskins’ division and some other opponents in his latest mock draft, version 10.0 (yes, we’ve hit double digits).
(Overall pick No. 1) DL Jadeveon Clowney, Week 1 @ Texans—This should get the Redskins focused on pass protection in a hurry if they are going to have Clowney coming at Robert Griffin III from one side and J. J. Watt from the other side.
(2) OT Greg Robinson, Week 14 vs. Rams—This, of course, is the pick that would have been the Redskins’ if not for the RG3 trade. The Rams want to trade back but if they can’t they may just settle for having one of their tackle spots locked up for the next decade.
(7) WR Mike Evans, Week 11 vs. Bucs—Tampa Bay could run a pair of 6-5 receivers at the Redskins with Evans on one side and Vincent Jackson on the other. A pair of targets like that could compensate for the Bucs issues at quarterback.
(8) QB Blake Bortles, Week 9 @ Vikings—If Minnesota does take a QB with the eighth overall pick you can be pretty sure that if they don’t start him immediately they will have him behind center by the time this midseason game is played.
(11) QB Johnny Manziel, Week 7 vs. Titans—If this happens, it’s a meeting between the 2011 and 2012 Heisman Trophy winners and two of the cooler nicknames out there in Johnny Football and RG3.
(22) OLB/DE Kyle Van Noy, Weeks 3 and 16 vs. Eagles—The Eagles came up short in the pass rush department last year and Van Noy could provide it instantly.
(32) WR Kelvin Benjamin, Week 5 vs Seahawks—Seattle has to be thinking about a receiver here with Golden Tate and Sidney Rice gone and Percy Harvin somewhat fragile. The massive Benjamin would be a good addition.
Note: If you want to see who Ben has the Redskins drafting with their second- and third-round picks, go check out the mock draft.