Redskins O-line: Watch what they do, not what they say

Redskins O-line: Watch what they do, not what they say
May 12, 2014, 4:00 pm
Share This Post

From the day he was hired as the Redskins’ head coach, Jay Gruden has said good things about the offensive line that has started for the last two years in Washington. He did so again on Friday right after the team had taken offensive linemen with both of its third-round picks (emphasis added).

“We are not discounting anybody. We are happy with the guys that we acquired in free agency. We are happy with the guys that have played here and done a lot and accomplished a lot for the Redskins. So we are not penciling anybody as starters, but we are trying to provide ourselves with great competition day one of training camp and may the best man win.

That’s all right out of the coachspeak manual. Instead of looking at what Gruden said about the line, let’s take a look at what he and Bruce Allen have done:

  • Signed G Shawn Lauvao (4 years, $27 million, $4 million guaranteed)
  • Signed G/C Mike McGlynn (2 years, $2.7 million, $200,000 guaranteed)
  • Drafted T Morgan Moses 3rd round, 66th overall (4 years, $3.1 million, $697 K guaranteed)
  • Drafted C/G Spencer Long 3rd round 78th overall (4 years, $2.87 million, $614K guaranteed)
  • Released C Will Montgomery who played virtually snap for the last three seasons.

In addition, the team made a serious run at free agent tackle Donald Penn, who would have been handed the starting right tackle job.

Look at what Gruden has said about being happy with last year’s O-line. Now, compare it to what he’s done.

The two don’t match up. And when that happens, the wise move is to look at what he does and not so much at what he says.

Right now, four of the five starters from the last two years are at the top of the depth chart. Don’t be surprised if there are more changes this year and a line that is entirely revamped except for left tackle Trent Williams by the start of the 2015 season.