Coming off the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance under head coach Mike Lonergan, the George Washington men's basketball team will open the 2014-15 regular season on Nov. 14 against Grambling State. The Colonials are slated for 13 non-conference games including matchups against Virginia, Seton Hall plus three opponents in the Diamond Head Classic.
Here's the schedule with links followed by additional thoughts:
Nov. 8 - Bloomsburg (exhibition)
Nov. 14 - Grambling State
Nov. 16 - at Rutgers
Nov. 26 - Longwood
Nov. 29 - at Seton Hall
Dec. 4 - UMBC
Dec. 7 - Charlotte (BB&T Classic doubleheader at Verizon Center)
Dec 22-25 - Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii (Opener versus Ohio, then either Colorado/DePaul)
Dec. 30 - Virginia Military Institute
* The Colonials went 24-9 last season including 12-2 in non-conference games with wins over Creighton, Maryland and Miami (Fl.)
* Rutgers and UMBC are the only repeat matchups. GW defeated both last season by double digits
* Virginia, defending ACC regular season and tournament champions, is the lone opponent projected to start the season ranked. The Cavaliers will play at the Smith Center during the 2015-16 season
* Seton Hall hasn't made the NCAA Tournament since 2006, but the Pirates have one of the top incoming recruiting classes in the country led by guard Isaiah Whitehead.
* GW plays five non-conference games at the Smith Center. Last season the Colonials were home seven times. That does not include the BB&T Classic in either season.
* GW will also play 18 Atlantic 10 Conference games:
Home and away: Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, VCU
Home: Dayton, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure, St Louis
Away: Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph's